The book of Psalms in the Bible is a collection of emotions from those who came before us. There are expressions of anger, praise, and heartbreak woven into the lines of beautiful poems. As you read through the book you’ll see we are not very different from the men and women told about in the Bible. Even though each of us is intricately unique, we are also commonly similar.
Recently I was at a friend’s funeral. He was a member of a muzzleloader club, and it brought tears to my eyes to see his muzzleloader friends there. As they sat in their leather and beads, alongside the man’s work friends in their jeans and his church family in our Sunday best we were, for a moment, unified. We were similar. We were family through one man. We still are family through one man…Jesus. That is victory.
- Psalms 3:8 – From the Lord comes deliverance…
- 5:12 – Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.
- 6:9 – The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer.
- 7:10 – My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart.
- 12:7 – You, Lord, will keep the needy safe and will protect us forever from the wicked…
- 13:6 – I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me.
- 16:8 – I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
- 18:3 – I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I have been saved from my enemies.
- 28:7 – The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.
- 34:4, 17 – I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. The righteous cry out and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.
- 37:40 – The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him.
- 40:1, 2 – I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.
- 46:7, 11 – The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
- 54:4, 7 – Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me. You have delivered me from all my troubles, and my eyes have looked in triumph on my foes.
- 55:16 – As for me, I call to God, and the Lord saves me.
- 59:9, 10, 16 – You are my strength, I watch for you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely. God will go before me, and will let me gloat over those who slander me. But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.
- 60:12 – With God we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies.
- 61:3 – For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.
- 66:5-9 -Come and see what God has done, his awesome deeds for mankind…He has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping.
- 73:23, 24 – Yet I am always with you, you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.
- 77:14 – You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples.
- 91:14-16 – “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”
- 108:13 – With God we will gain the victory, and He will trample down our enemies.
- 112:4 – Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for those who are gracious and compassionate and upright.
- 118:7, 15 – The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I look in triumph on my enemies.
- 125:1, 2 – Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people both now and forevermore.
- 129:4 – But the Lord is righteous; He has cut me free from the cords of the wicked.
- 144:2 – He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues people under me.
If any of these verses speak to you, if they inspire or comfort you, can you imagine what the rest of the book of Psalms is like? Right now my favorite Psalm is 91. Which is yours?
Leave a Reply